10 Things To Do To Secure Your Home
Securing your home and belongings is something that is of great importance for all of us. Implementing a few of these points below will not break the bank but could go quite a way in helping to secure your home from criminals.
- Make sure that you lock your house or apartment, even if you are only going out for a short while. Check that windows are closed so that you do not leave your house vulnerable when you are away.
- When you move into a new home it is always advisable to change all the locks. Make sure that spare keys are kept in a safe place.
- If possible, conceal all wiring when you install an alarm system. Criminals will look to see where they could cut wiring.
- If your alarm is faulty and activates often,have it fixed as soon as possible. Tell your security company and neighbours that it has been repaired so that they can check it out when it activates.
- If you lose your keys to the house make sure that you change the locks as soon as possible. If you cannot change the lock, swop it with a lock from an internal door for the time being.
- Don’t leave notes for service providers or family on the door or in view of passers by.
- Install lighting close to entrances to your house. If the lights has a motion detector it will light up whenever there is movement in the area. This is a deterrent to criminals
- Trees located near windows may shield a burglar from view. This is always a good idea to remove trees or schrubs where possible.
- If someone comes to your door asking to use the phone to call a mechanic or the police, keep the door locked and make the call yourself.
- Dogs are good deterrents to burglars. Even a small, noisy dog can be effective — burglars do not like to have attention drawn to their presence